The first document that quotes the Librea of Valle de Guerra for the first time is the; Diario, by Juan Primo de la Guerra, on October 2, 1803. Textually it says: “On Saturday 2 of the current [October] I found myself at night at the party that takes place on the eve of the Rosary in the chapel of this Valley. It was celebrated as usual with ship, hors doeuvres, livery and fires. There were not many people, but some from Santa Cruz and La Laguna and among them the family of the Count of Salazar, who are in his farm in Tegueste.
Until 1955 (year in which no one claimed the post of captain of the Librea) was organized by a village volunteer who was communicated to the pastor, who noted him on a list, having to wait up to ten years. He was solely responsible for the livery and was responsible for the organization and the post- representation treat.
Until the 60s of the 20th century the battle did not take place between the two squads but between the Christian ship and the castle of the Turks. In the decade of the 60 the neighbor Fernando Adrián (El Cubano), fond of poetry, carried out the first important transformation of the text with the help of a book given by the parish priest Antonio, in which the chronicles of the battle were narrated of Lepanto, emphasizing the intercession of the virgin. Knowing that the battle was located in the Gulf of Lepanto and in favor of credibility led to the replacement of the castle of the Turks by a ship.
It stopped being held between 1970 and 1981. Julio Rodríguez de Castro at the beginning of the 80 carried out remarkable changes, conserving the old verses. He introduced the character of Philip II and music. From 1990 the fight between the two squads is simulated.
In 1993 undergoes important changes. The character of Miguel de Cervantes is introduced as narrator of the episode. Women, children and animals are incorporated into the cast. In 2007 it was declared of Cultural Interest. Likewise, it has been recognized with the CICOP international prize as Intangible Cultural Heritage, the insignia of the Tourism Initiatives Center of the Northeast of Tenerife and the Amazig Prize as the best act of cultural interest. The new text, by Juan Cairos, was approved on February 23, 2015. It consists of 5 acts and 13 scenes, with a total of 1,270 verses. As a novelty, four new characters are included: María de Mendoza, Inés de Castilla, Princess Eboli and Captain Francisco Díaz Pimienta, as well as two new acts. The Librea of Valle de Guerra was part of an international meeting that was held in October 2015 in the Greek city of Lepanto, whose waters took place more than four centuries ago the well-known battle that represents the car of the Librea of Valle de Guerra. As a result of this participation, in 2017, the III International Meeting of European Lepanto Routes was held in Tenerife, in which a representation of several Italian cities (Messina, San Severo, Gaeta, Palermo, Venice, Nicosia and Marino) met, from Germany (Regensburg), Greece (Lepanto), Cyprus (Famagusta) and Spain (Yuste and Barlovento).
Castilian knight of the late 16th century.
This is Don Juan de Austria’s tour in 1571 (in black) and the cities that came to Valle de Guerra (in red).